|Inuit mothers in the Arctic, far from sources of industrial pollution, have some of the highest levels of PCBs in their breast milk as a result of a diet rich in marine mammal fat.
Diet Drink Anyone?
Article written by Nancy Markle
I have spent several days lecturing at the World Environment Conference on Aspartame marketed as NutraSweet, Equal and Spoonful. In the keynote address by the EPA, they announced that there was an epidemic of multiple sclerosis and systemic lupus, and they did not understand what toxin was causing this to be rampant across the United States. I explained that I was there to lecture on exactly that subject.
When the temperature of Aspartame exceeds 86 degrees F; the wood alcohol in Aspartame converts to formaldehyde and then to formic acid, which in turn causes metabolic acidosis. (Formic acid is the poison found in the sting of fire ants). The methanol toxicity mimics multiple sclerosis thus peoples were being diagnosed with having multiple sclerosis in error. The multiple sclerosis is not a death sentence, where methanol toxicity is. In the case of systemic lupus, we are finding it has become almost as rampant as multiple sclerosis, especially with Diet Coke and Diet Pepsi drinkers. Also, with methanol toxicity, the victims usually drink three to four 12 oz. cans of them per day, some even more. In the case of systemic lupus, which is triggered by Aspartame, the victim usually does not know that the Aspartame is the culprit. The victim continues its use aggravating the lupus to such a degree, that sometimes it becomes life threatening. When we get people off the Aspartame, those with systemic lupus usually become symptomatic. Unfortunately, we cannot reverse this disease. On the other hand, in the case of those diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, (when in reality, the disease is methanol toxicity), most of the symptoms disappear. We have seen cases where their vision has returned and even their hearing has returned.
This also applies to cases of tinnitus. During a lecture, I said,and quote, "If you are using Aspartame (NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, etc.) and you suffer from Fibromyalgia symptoms; spasms, shooting pains, numbness in your legs, cramps, vertigo, dizziness, headaches, tinnitus, joint pain, depression, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, blurred vision or memory loss, you probably have Aspartame disease." People were jumping up during the lecture saying, "I've got this. Is it reversible?" It is rampant. Some of the speakers at my lecture even were suffering from these symptoms. In one lecture attended by the Ambassador of Uganda, he told us that their sugar industry is adding Aspartame. He continued by saying that one of the industry leader's sons could no longer walk - due in part by product usage. We have a very serious problem. Even a stranger came up to Dr. Espisto (one of my speakers) and myself and said, "Could you tell me why so many people seem to be coming down with M.S.?" During a visit to a hospice, a nurse said that six of her friends who were heavy Diet Coke addicts, had all been diagnosed with M.S. This is beyond coincidence.
Here is the problem. There were Congressional Hearings when Aspartame was included in 100 different products. Since this initial hearing, there have been two subsequent hearings, but to no avail. Nothing has been done. The drug and chemical lobbies have very deep pockets. Now there are over 5,000 products containing this chemical, and the PATENT HAS EXPIRED. At the time of this first hearing, people were going blind. The methanol in the Aspartame converts to formaldehyde in the retina of the eye. Formaldehyde is grouped in the same class of drugs as cyanide and arsenic - DEADLY POISONS! Unfortunately, it just takes longer to quietly kill, but it is killing people and causing all kinds of neurological problems. Aspartame changes the brain's chemistry. It is the reason for severe seizures. This drug changes the dopamine level in the brain. Imagine what this drug does to patients suffering from Parkinson's Disease. This drug also causes Birth Defects. There is absolutely no reason to take this product. It is NOT A DIET PRODUCT. The Congressional record said, "It makes you crave carbohydrates and will make you FAT." Dr. Roberts stated that when he got patients off Aspartame, their average weight loss was 19 pounds per person. The formaldehyde stores in the fat cells, particularly in the hips and thighs. Aspartame is especially deadly for diabetics. All physicians know what wood alcohol will do to a diabetic. We find that physicians believe that they have patients with retinopathy, when in fact, it is caused by the Aspartame. The Aspartame keeps the blood sugar level out of control, causing many patients to go into a coma. Unfortunately, many have died. People were telling us at the Conference of the American college of Physicians, that they had relatives that switched from saccharin to an Aspartame product and how that relative had eventually gone into a coma. Their physicians could not get the blood sugar levels under control. Thus, the patients suffered acute memory loss and eventually coma and death. Memory loss is due to the fact that aspartic acid and phenylanine are neurotoxic without the other amino acids found in protein. Thus it goes past the brain barrier and deteriorates the neurons of the brain. Dr. Russell Blaylock, neurosurgeon, said, "The ingredients stimulate the neurons of the brain to death, causing brain damage of varying degrees."
Dr. Blaylock has written a book entitled, "EXVIROTOXINS : The Taste That Kills" (Health Press 800-643-2665). Dr. H.J. Roberts, diabetic specialist and world expert on Aspartame Poisoning has also written a book entitled, "Defense against Alzheimer's Disease" (800-814-9800). Dr. Roberts tells how Aspartame Poisoning is escalating Alzheimer's Disease and indeed it is. As the hospice nurse told me, women are being admitted at 30 years of age with Alzheimer's Disease. Dr. Blaylock and Dr. Roberts will be writing a position paper with some case histories and will post it on the Internet. According to the Conference of the American College of Physicians, "We are talking about a plague of neurological diseases caused by this deadly poison." Dr. Roberts realized what was happening when Aspartame was first marketed. He said, "his diabetic patients presented memory loss, confusion, and severe vision loss." At the Conference of American College of Physicians, doctors admitted that they did not know. They had wondered why seizures were rampant (the phenylaline in Aspartame breaks down the seizures threshold and depletes serotonin, which causes manic depression, panic attacks, rage and violence). Just possible antidote for this poison because they are experiencing so many problems in their country. This "poison" is now available in 90 plus countries worldwide.
Fortunately, we had speakers and ambassadors at the Conference from different nations who have pledged their help. We ask you to help too. Copy this article and warn everyone you know. Take anything that contains Aspartame back to the store. Send us your case history.
I assure you that Monsanto, the creator of Aspartame, knows how deadly it is. They fund the American Diabetes Association, American Dietetic Association, Congress and the Conference of the American College of Physicians. The New York Times, on November 15, 1996, ran an article on how the American Dietetic Association takes money from the food industry to endorse their products. Therefore, they cannot criticize any additives or tell about their link to Monsanto.
How bad is this? We told a mother who had a child on NutraSweet to get off the product. The child was having Grand Mal Seizures every day. The mother called her physician, who called the ADA, who told the doctor not to take the child off the NutraSweet. We are still trying to convince the mother that the Aspartame is causing the seizures.
Every time we get someone off of Aspartame, the seizures stop. If the baby dies, you know whose fault it is and what we are up against. There are 92 documented symptoms of Aspartame from coma to death. The majority of them are neurological because the Aspartame destroys the nervous system. Aspartame Disease is partially the cause to what is behind some of the mystery of the Desert Storm health problems. The burning tongue and other problems discussed in over 60 cases can be directly related to the consumption of Aspartame product and several thousand pallets of diet drinks were shipped to the Desert Storm troops. Diet drinks sat in the 120 degree F Arabian sun for weeks at a time on pallets. The service men and women drank them all day long. All of their symptoms are identical to Aspartame Poisoning. Dr. Roberts says that consuming Aspartame at the time of conception can cause birth defects. The phenylanine concentrates in the placenta, causing mental retardation, according to Dr. Louis Elsas, Pediatrician Professor - genetics at Emory University in his testimony before Congress. In the original lab tests, animals developed brain tumors (phenylaline breaks down into DXP, a brain tumor agent). When Dr. Espisto was lecturing on Aspartame, one physician in the audience, a neurosurgeon said, "When they remove brain tumors, they have found high levels of Aspartame in them". Stevia, a sweet food, NOT AN ADDITIVE, that helps in the metabolism of sugar, which would be ideal for diabetics, has now been approved as a dietary supplement by the FDA. For years, the FDA has outlawed this sweet food because of their loyalty to Monsanto.
If a label says SUGAR FREE, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT CONSUMING IT.
Senator Howard Metzenbaum wrote a bill that would have warned all infants, pregnant mothers and children of the dangers of Aspartame. The bill would have also instituted independent studies on the problems existing in the population (seizures, changes in brain chemistry, changes in neurological and behavioral symptoms). The bill was killed by the powerful drug and chemical lobbies, letting loose the hounds of disease and death on an unsuspecting public. Since the Conference of American College of Physicians, we hope to have the help of some world leaders.
50 Reasons to Oppose Flouridation
by Paul Connett, Ph.D.
March 6, 2001
Dr. Paul Connett
Professor of Chemistry
St. Lawrence University, NY 13617
with assistance from:
Fluoride Action Network
50 Reasons to Oppose Fluoridation
1) Fluoride is not an essential nutrient. No disease has ever been linked to a fluoride deficiency. Humans can have perfectly good teeth without fluoride.
2) Fluoridation is not necessary. Most Western European countries are not fluoridated and have experienced the same decline in dental decay as the US (see data from World Health Organization on levels of tooth decay in Europe, US, New Zealand, and Australia in Appendix 1).
3) Fluoridation's role in the decline of tooth decay is in serious doubt. The largest survey ever conducted in the US (over 39,000 children from 84 communities) by the National Institute of Dental Research showed little difference in tooth decay among children in fluoridated and non-fluoridated communities (Hileman, 1989 and Yiamouyiannis, 1990). According to the NIDR's statisticians, the study found an average difference of only 0.6 DMFS (Decayed Missing and Filled Surfaces) in the permanent teeth of children aged 5-17 residing in either fluoridated or unfluoridated areas (Brunelle and Carlos, 1990). This difference is less than one tooth surface! There are 128 tooth surfaces in a child's mouth.
4) Where fluoridation has been discontinued in communities from Canada, the former East Germany, Cuba and Finland, dental decay has not increased but has actually decreased (Maupome et al, 2001; Kunzel and Fischer,1997,2000; Kunzel et al, 2000 and Seppa et al, 2000).
5) One of the early trials which helped to launch fluoridation took place in Newburgh, NY, with Kingston, NY as the control community. After 10 years of this trial (which was methodologically flawed), it looked as if there was a large decrease in dental caries in the fluoridated community compared to the non-fluoridated community. However, when children were re-examined in these two cities in 1995 (50 years after the trial began) there was practically no difference in the dental decay in the two communities. If anything, the teeth in unfluoridated Kingston were slightly better (Kumar and Green 1998).
6) Modern research (e.g. Diesendorf, 1986; Colquhoun, 1997, and De Liefde, 1998) shows that decay rates were coming down before fluoridation was introduced and have continued to decline even after its benefits would have been maximized. Many other factors influence tooth decay. Studies in India (Teotia and Teotia, 1994) and Tuczon, Arizona (Steelink, 1992) have shownthat tooth decay actually increases as the fluoride concentration in the water increases.
7) Leading dental researchers (Levine, 1976; Fejerskov, Thylstrup and Larsen, 1981; Carlos, 1983; Featherstone, 1987, 1999, 2000; Margolis and Moreno, 1990; Clark, 1993; Burt, 1994; Shellis and Duckworth, 1994 and Limeback, 1999, 2000), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, 1999) are now acknowledging that the mechanism of fluoride's benefits are mainly TOPICAL not SYSTEMIC. Thus, you don't have to swallow fluoride to protect teeth. As the benefits of fluoride (if they exist) are topical, and the risks are systemic, it makes more sense, for those who want to take the risks, to deliver the fluoride directly to the tooth in the form of toothpaste. Since swallowing fluoride is unnecessary, there is no reason to force people (against their will) to drink fluoride in their water suppy. (All the referencs for "topical versus systemic benefits" are listed as a group in the reference section).
8) The US fluoridation program has massively failed to achieve one of its key objectives, i.e. to lower dental decay rates while minimizing dental fluorosis (mottled and discolored enamel). The goal of the early promoters of fluoridation was to limit dental fluorosis (in its mildest form) to 10% of children (NRC, 1993, pp. 6-7). The percentage of children with dental fluorosis in optimally fluoridated areas is up to EIGHT TIMES this goal (Williams, 1990; Lalumandier, 1995; Heller, 1997 and Morgan, 1998). The York Review estimates that up to 48% of children in optimally fluoridated areas have dental fluorosis in all forms and up to 12.5% in the mild to
severe forms (McDonagh, 2000).
9) Dental fluorosis means that a child has been overdosed on fluoride. While the mechanism by which the enamel is damaged is not definitively known, it appears fluorosis may be a result of either inhibited enzymes in the growing teeth (Dan Besten 1999), or through fluoride's interference with the thyroid gland.
10) The level of fluoride put into water (1 ppm) is 100 times higher than normally found in mothers' milk (0.01 ppm) (Institute of Medicine, 1997). There are no benefits, only risks, for infants ingesting this heightened level of fluoride at such an early age (this is an age where susceptibility to environmental toxins is particularly high).
11) Fluoride is a cumulative poison. Only 50% of the fluoride we ingest each day is excreted through the kidneys, the remainder accumulates in our bones, pineal gland, and other tissues. If the kidney is damaged, fluoride accumulation will increase.
12) Fluoride is very biologically active even at low concentrations. It interferes with hydrogen bonding which is central to the structure and function of proteins and nucleic acids. Thus, fluoride has the potential to disrupt events at the very heart of living things (Emsley, 1981).
13) Fluoride inhibits enzymes in test tubes (Waldbott, 1978), in bacteria in the oral cavity (Featherstone, 2000), in the growing tooth (DenBesten, 1999), in bone (Krook and Minor, 1998) and in other tissues (Luke, 1998).
14) Fluoride has been shown to be mutagenic, cause chromosome damage and interfere with the enzymes involved with DNA repair in a variety of insect, tissue culture and animal studies (DHSS, 1991, Mihashi and Tsutsui, 1996).
15) Fluoride administered to animals at high doses wreaks havoc on the reproductive system - it renders sperm non-functional and increases the rate of infertility (Chinoy, et al, 1995; Kumar & Susheela, 1994; Chinoy & Narayana, 1994; Chinoy & Sequeira, 1989). A recent study from the US found increased rates of infertility among women living in areas with 3 or more ppm fluoride in the water. According to this latter study, which was published in the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, "Most regions showed an association of decreasing TFR [Total Fertility Rate] with increasing fluoride levels" (Freni 1994).
16) Fluoride forms complexes with a large number of metals, which include metals which are needed in the body (like calcium and magnesium) and metals (like lead and aluminum) which are toxic to the body. This can cause a variety of problems. For example, fluoride interferes with enzymes where magnesium is an important co-factor, and it can help facilitate the uptake of aluminum into tissues where the aluminum wouldn't otherwise go.
17) Rats fed for one year with 1 ppm fluoride in doubly distilled and de-ionized water, using either sodium fluoride or aluminum fluoride, had morphological changes to their kidneys and brains and had an increased level of aluminum present in their brain (Varner et al, 1998). Aluminum in the brain is associated with Alzheimers disease.
18) Fluoride and aluminum fluoride complexes interact with G-proteins and thus have the potential to interfere with many hormonal and some neurochemical signals (Struneka and Patocka, 1999).
19) Aluminum fluoride was recently nominated by the Environmental Protection Agency and National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences for testing by the National Toxicology Program. According to the EPA and NIEHS, aluminum fluoride currently has a "high health research priority" due to its "known neurotoxicity" (BNA, 2000). If fluoride is added to water which contains aluminum, than aluminum fluoride complexes will form.
20) Animal experiments show that fluoride exposure alters mental behavior (Mullenix et al, 1995). Rats dosed prenatally demonstrated hyperactive behavior. Those dosed postnatally demonstrated hypoactivity (i.e. under activity or "couch potato" syndrome).
21) Studies by Jennifer Luke (1997) showed that fluoride accumulates in the human pineal gland to very high levels. In her Ph.D thesis Luke has also shown in animal studies that fluoride reduces melatonin production and leads to an earlier onset of puberty.
22) Three studies from China show a lowering of IQ in children associated with fluoride exposure (Li et al, 1995; Zhao et al, 1996 and Lu et al, 2000). Another study (Lin et al, 1991) indicates that even just moderate levels of fluoride exposure (e.g. 0.9 ppm in the water) can exacerbate the neurological defects of iodine deficiency, which include decreased IQ and retardation. (According to the CDC, iodine deficiency has nearly quadrupled in the US since the 1970's, with nearly 12% of the population now iodine deficient.)
23) Earlier in the 20th century, fluoride was prescribed by a number of European doctors to reduce the activity of the thyroid gland for those suffering from hyperthyroidism (over active thyroid) (Merck Index, 1960, p. 952; Waldbott, et al., 1978, p. 163). With water fluoridation, we are forcing people to drink a thyroid-depressing medication which could serve to promote higher levels of hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) in the population, and all the subsequent problems related to this disorder. Such problems include depression, fatigue, weight gain, muscle and joint pains, increased cholesterol levels, and heart disease.
It bears noting that according to the Department of Health and Human Services (1991) fluoride exposure in fluoridated communities is estimated to range from 1.58 to 6.6 mg/day, which is a range that actually overlaps the dose (2.3 - 4.5 mg/day) shown to decrease the functioning of the human thyroid (Galletti & Joyet, 1958). This is a remarkable fact, and certainly deserves greater attention considering the rampant and increasing problem of hypothyroidism in the United States. (In 1999, the second most prescribed drug of the year was Synthroid, which is a hormone replacement drug used to treat an underactive thyroid).
24) Some of the early symptoms of skeletal fluorosis, a fluoride-induced bone and joint disease that impacts millions of people in India, China, and Africa , mimic the symptoms of arthritis. According to a review on fluoridation by the journal of the American Chemical Society, "Because some of the clinical symptoms mimic arthritis, the first two clinical phases of skeletal fluorosis could be easily misdiagnosed" (Hileman, 1988). Few if any studies have been done to determine the extent of this misdiagnosis, and whether the high prevalence of arthritis in America (over 42 million Americans have it) is related to our growing fluoride exposure, which is highly plausible. The causes of most forms of arthritis (e.g.osteoarthritis) are unknown.
25) In some studies, when high doses of fluoride were used in trials to treat patients with osteoporosis in an effort to harden their bones and reduce fracture rates, it actually led to a HIGHER number of hip fractures (Hedlund and Gallagher, 1989; Riggs et al, 1990).
26) Eighteen studies (four unpublished, including one abstract) since 1990 have examined the possible relationship of fluoridation and an increase in ip fracture among the elderly. Ten of these studies found an association, eight did not. One study found a dose-related increase in hip fracture as the concentration of fluoride rose from 1 ppm to 8 ppm (Li et al, 1999, to be published). Hip fracture is a very serious issue for the elderly, as a quarter of those who have a hip fracture die within a year of the operation, while 50 percent never regain an independent existence. (All 18 of these studies are referenced as a group in the reference section).
27) One animal study (National Toxicology Program, 1990) shows a dose-related increase in osteosarcoma (bone cancer) in male rats. The initial finding of this study was of "clear evidence of carcinogenicity" a finding which was soon conspicuously downgraded to "equivocal evidence"
(Marcus, 1990). EPA Professional Headquarters Union has requested that Congress establish an independent review of this study's results (Hirzy 2000).
28) Two epidemiological studies show a possible association (which some have discounted: Hoover, 1990 and 1991) between osteosarcoma in young men and living in fluoridated areas (National Cancer Institute, 1989 and Cohn, 1992). Other studies have not found this association.
29) Fluoridation is unethical because individuals are not being asked for their informed consent prior to medication. This is standard practice for all medication.
30) While referenda are preferential to imposed policies from central government, it still leaves the problem of individual rights versus majority rule. Put another way -- does a voter have the right to require that their neighbor ingest a certain medication (even if it's against that neighbor's will)?
31) Some people appear to be highly sensitive to fluoride as shown by case studies and double blind studies (Waldbott, 1978 and Moolenburg, 1987). This may relate to fluoride interfering with their hormone levels including those produced by their thyroid gland. Can we as a society force these people to drink fluoride?
32) According to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR, 1993) some people are particularly vulnerable to fluoride's toxic effects; these include: the elderly, diabetics and people with poor kidney function. Again, can we in good conscience force these people to ingest fluoride on a daily basis?
33) Also vulnerable are those who suffer from malnutrition (e.g. calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, vitamin D and iodide deficiencies and protein poor diets). Those most likely to suffer from poor nutrition are the poor, who are precisely the people being targeted by new fluoridation proposals (Oral Health in America, May 2000). While being at heightened risk, poor families are less able to afford avoidance measures (e.g. bottled water or removal equipment).
34) Since dental decay is most concentrated in poor communities, we should be spending our efforts trying to increase the access to dental care for poor families. The real "Oral Health Crisis" that exists today in the United States, is not a lack of fluoride but poverty and lack of dental
35) Fluoridation has been found to be ineffective at preventing one of the most serious oral health problems facing poor children, namely, baby bottle tooth decay, otherwise known as early childhood caries (Jones, 2000).
36) Once fluoride is put in the water it is impossible to control the dose each individual receives. This is because, one, some people (e.g. manual laborers, athletes and diabetics) drink more water than others, and because, two, we receive fluoride from sources other than the water supply. Other sources of fluoride include food and beverages processed with fluoridated water; fluoridated dental products, and pesticide residues on food.
As one doctor has aptly stated, "No physician in his right senses would prescribe for a person he has never met, whose medical history he does not know, a substance which is intended to create bodily change, with the advice: 'Take as much as you like, but you will take it for the rest of
your life because some children suffer from tooth decay. ' It is a preposterous notion."
37) Despite the fact that it is recognized that we are ingesting too much fluoride, and despite the fact that we are exposed to far more fluoride in 2000 than we were in 1945 (when fluoridation began), the "optimal" fluoridation level is still 1 part per million, the same level deemed optimal in 1945!
38) The early studies conducted in 1945 -1955 in the US, which helped to launch fluoridation, have been heavily criticized for their poor methodology and poor choice of control communities (De Stefano, 1954; Sutton 1959, 1960 and 1996). According to Dr. Hubert Arnold, a statisician from the University of California at Davis, the early fluoridation trials "are especially rich in fallacies, improper design, invalid use of statistical methods, omissions of contrary data, and just plain muddleheadedness and hebetude."
39) The US Public Health Service first endorsed fluoridation in 1950, before one single trial had been completed (McClure, 1970)! It may not be coincidental that in the same year of the US PHS endorsement, the Sugar Research Foundation, Inc. (supported by 130 corporations) expressed its aim in dental research as, "To discover effective means of controlling tooth decay by methods other than restricting carbohydrate (sugar) intake" (Waldbott, 1965, p.131).
40) The fluoridation program has been very poorly monitored. There has never been a comprehensive analysis of the fluoride levels in the bones of the American people. US Health authorities have no idea how close we are getting to levels which will cause subtle or even serious bone and joint damage!
41) According to a letter received by New Jersey Assemblyman John Kelly, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has never approved the fluoride supplements given to children, which are designed to deliver the same amount of fluoride as fluoridated water.
42) The chemicals used to fluoridate water in the US are not pharmaceutical grade. Instead, they come from the wet scrubbing systems of the superphosphate fertilizer industry. These chemicals (90% of which are sodium fluorosilicate and fluorosilicic acid), are classified hazardous wastes contaminated with toxic metals and trace amounts of radioactive isotopes. Recent testing by the National Sanitation Foundation suggest that the levels of arsenic in these chemicals are high and of significant concern.
43) These hazardous wastes have not been tested comprehensively. The chemical usually tested in animal studies is pharmaceutical grade sodium fluoride, not industrial grade fluorosilicic acid. The assumption being made is that by the time this waste product has been diluted down, all the
fluorosilicic acid will have been converted into free fluoride ion, and the other toxics and radioactive isotopes will be so dilute that they will not cause any harm, even with lifetime exposure. These assumptions have not been examined carefully by scientists, independent of the fluoridation program.
44) Studies by Masters and Coplan (1999) show an association between the use of fluorosilicic acid (and its sodium salt) to fluoridate water and an increased uptake of lead into children's blood.
45) Sodium fluoride is an extremely toxic substance -- just 3 to 5 grams, or about one teaspoon, is enough to kill a human being. Both children (swallowing gels) and adults (accidents involving malfunctioning of fluoride delivery equipment and filters on dialysis machines) have died from excess exposure.
46) Some of the earliest opponents of fluoridation were biochemists and at least 14 Nobel Prize winners are among numerous scientists who have expressed their reservations about the practice of fluoridation (see appendix 4 for list). Dr. James Sumner, who won the Nobel Prize for his work on enzyme chemistry, had this to say about fluoridation: "We ought to go slowly. Everybody knows fluorine and fluoride are very poisonous substances.We use them in enzyme chemistry to poison enzymes, those vital agents in the body. That is the reason things are poisoned; because the enzymes are poisoned and that is why animals and plants die" (Connett,
Last year's (2000) recipient of the Noble Prize for Medicine and Physiology, was Dr. Arvid Carlsson of Sweden. Dr. Carlsson was one of the leading opponents of fluoridation in Sweden. He was part of the panel that recommended that the Swedish government reject the practice, which they did in 1971. In her book "The Fluoride Question: Panacea or Poison" Anne-lise Gotzsche quotes Carlsson as follows: "It is not worthwhile to conceal the fact that it is a question of applying a pharmacologically active substance to an entire population" (p.69).
47) The Union representing the scientists at the US EPA headquarters in DC is on record as opposing water fluoridation (Hirzy, 1999) and rejects the US EPA's approval of the use of hazardous industrial waste products to fluoridate the public water supply.
48) Many scientists, doctors and dentists who have spoken out publicly on this issue have been subjected to censorship and intimidation (Martin 1991). Tactics like this would not be necessary if those promoting fluoridation were on secure scientific ground.
49) Promoters of fluoridation refuse to recognize that there is any scientific debate on this issue, despite the concerns listed above and objective reviews of the controversy (Hileman, 1988). Dr. Michael Easley, one of the most vocal proponents, goes so far as to say that there is no legitimate debate, whatsoever, concerning fluoridation. According to Easley, who works closely with the CDC and ADA, "Debates give the illusion that a scientific controversy exists when no credible people support the fluorophobics' view." Easley adds that "a most flagrant abuse of the public trust occasionally occurs when a physician or a dentist, for whatever personal reason, uses their professional standing in the community to argue against fluoridation, a clear violation of professional ethics, the principles of science and community standards of practice" (Easley, 1999).
Comments like these led the associate technical director for Consumers Union, Dr. Edward Groth, to conclude that "the political profluoridation stance has evolved into a dogmatic, authoritarian, essentially antiscientific posture, one that discourages open debate of scientific
issues" (Martin, 1991).
50) When it comes to controversies surrounding toxic chemicals, invested interests traditionally do their very best to discount animal studies and quibble with epidemiological findings. In the past, political pressures have led government agencies to drag their feet on regulating asbestos,
benzene, DDT, PCBs, tetraethyl lead, tobacco and dioxins. With fluoridation we have had a fifty year delay. Unfortunately, because government officials have put so much of their credibility on the line defending fluoridation, and because of the huge liabilities waiting in the wings if they admit that fluoridation has caused an increase in hip fracture, arthritis, bone cancer, brain disorders or thyroid problems, it will be very difficult for them to speak honestly and openly about the issue. But they must, not only to protect millions of people from unnecessary harm, but to protect the
notion that, at its core, public health policy must be based on sound science not political pressure. They have a tool with which to do this: it's called the Precautionary Principle. Simply put, this says: if in doubt leave it out. This is what most European countries have done and their
children's teeth have not suffered, while their public's trust has been strengthened.
It is like a question from a Kafka play. Just how much doubt is needed on just one of the health concerns identified above, to override a benefit, which when quantified in the largest survey ever conducted in the US, amounts to less than one tooth surface (out of 128) in a child's mouth?
For those who would call for further studies, we say fine. Take the fluoride out of the water first and then conduct all the studies you want. This folly must end without further delay.
APPENDIX 1. World Health Organization Data
Table: DMFT Status (Decayed, Missing & Filled Teeth) for 12 year olds.
Organized by Country.
DMFTs Year Status
Australia 0.8 1998 fluoridated
Zurich, Switzerland 0.84 1998 unfluoridated
Netherlands 0.9 1992-93 unfluoridated
Sweden 0.9 1999 unfluoridated
Denmark 0.9 2001 unfluoridated
UK (England, Scotland, N. Ire) 1.1 1996-97 10% fluoridated
Ireland 1.1 1997 fluoridated
Finland 1.1 1997 unfluoridated
US 1.4 1988-91 fluoridated
Norway 1.5 1998 unfluoridated
Iceland 1.5 1996 unfluoridated
New Zealand 1.5 1993 fluoridated
Belgium 1.6 1998 unfluoridated
Germany 1.7 1997 unfluoridated
Austria 1.7 1997 unfluoridated
France 1.9 1998 unfluoridated
Data from: WHO Oral Health Country/Area Profile Programme Department of Noncommunicable Diseases Surveillance/Oral Health WHO Collaborating Centre, Aalmö University, Sweden http://www.whocollab.od.mah.se/euro.html
Statements on fluoridation by governmental officials from several countries:
"Generally, in Germany fluoridation of drinking water is forbidden. The relevant German law allows exceptions to the fluoridation ban on application. The argumentation of the Federal Ministry of Health against a general permission of fluoridation of drinking water is the problematic nature of compuls[ory] medication." (Gerda Hankel-Khan, Embassy of Federal
Republic of Germany, September 16, 1999).
"Fluoride chemicals are not included in the list [of 'chemicals for drinking water treatment']. This is due to ethical as well as medical considerations." (Louis Sanchez, Directeur de la Protection del'Environment, August 25, 2000).
"This water treatment has never been of use in Belgium and will never be (we hope so) into the future. The main reason for that is the fundamental position of the drinking water sector that it is not its task to deliver medicinal treatment to people. This is the sole responsibility of health services." (Chr. Legros, Directeur, Belgaqua, Brussels, Belgium, February 28, 2000). www.fluoridation.com/c-belgium.htm
"Fluoride has never been added to the public water supplies in Luxembourg. In our views, the drinking water isn't the suitable way for medicinal treatment and that people needing an addition of fluoride can decide by their own to use the most appropriate way, like the intake of fluoride
tablets, to cover their [daily] needs." (Jean-Marie RIES, Head, Water Department, Administration De L'Environment, May 3, 2000).
"We do not favor or recommend fluoridation of drinking water. There are better ways of providing the fluoride our teeth need." (Paavo Poteri, Acting Managing Director, Helsinki Water, Finland